Saturday, January 16, 2010

You're Going Shopping with Me!

One day, one glorious day, one champagne-flooded day, my commuter car (nope, still not telling you what it is… yet) will have to be replaced. As we’re a typical, American family in 2010, things are pretty tight right now with one car payment already (and a mortgage, and childcare, etc.). Walking into a dealer and sitting for 40 minutes and drinking tiny bottles of water while Laszlo gets the financing paperwork ready won’t happen for a few years.

But shouldn’t a $35,000-40,000 purchase deserve tons and tons of research? If you didn’t get in on the ground floor at Google or you’re not adept at robbing banks, you’ll probably need to finance a car that costs that much. Most of us would need to finance a $15,000-20,000 car, too (and there are some great ones out there). A car is a long-term investment, and you’d better do your homework.

The Internet is a great place to start (visit, oh, say, The Torque Retort). But you’ve gotta try out any potential contenders.

Here’s where you come in. I’ll have to buy a car in a few years. You might have to buy a new car in a few years, too, or maybe sooner. I’ve got a huge list of my own contenders. This’ll be my test driving checklist. I’ll post my detailed review of each car, along with pictures, and if a sales associate (douchebaggish or otherwise) isn’t required to accompany me on a test drive, video as well. You’ll get a feel for these cars, as well, and maybe you might add a few of these to your list.

The List

The 2009+ Infiniti G37x sedan is at the top of my list right now with a staggering list of features, a gutsy 3.7 liter V6, and a host of accolades from consumers and critics. But I haven't driven one. So, I may very well find the car is goat puke.

I’ve grouped cars I’d like to try into several categories.

Will I be brave enough to get back into an Audi? Maybe. The 2010 version has a 3-liter V6 vice a V8, but it's quicker to 60. But the exhaust note from that older, 4.2-liter V8 is intoxicating.

Realistic favorites:

  • 2009+ Infiniti G37x
  • 2009+ Acura TL SH-AWD
  • BMW 335i
  • 2007+ Audi S4 Avant or sedan
  • Lexus IS350
  • Lexus IS-F
  • 2007+ Lexus LS460 (This is considered to be one of the most reliable cars of all time. It may also qualify me for early AARP entry. We’ll see.)
  • Mercedes C350 Sport
  • 2010+ Ford Taurus SHO (have you seen the interior of the new Tauruses? You’ve come a long way, baby!)
  • 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Premium
  • Volvo C30 R-Design
  • 2009+ Nissan Maxima SV

Am I off my rocker to think I could have a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V? Probably. But I'm probably downright headed-for-the-asylum to think a GT-R is in my immediate future.

Much less realistic favorites:

  • 2009+ Nissan 370Z
  • Nissan GT-R (I know. My only hope is some idiot has no idea what it is and wants it gone. Hey, stranger things have happened. It’s even a slim chance a dealer or seller would let me even test drive it)
  • 2009+ Cadillac CTS-V with Recaro seats
  • Chrysler 300 SRT-8 or Charger SRT-8
  • 2009+ Mercedes AMG C63
  • 2010+ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

A game-changing, 60-mpg-in-the-city phenomenon? Or an appliance with the personality of a paper clip? Picture from Wikipedia user S 400 HYBRID

And finally, the fuel sippers. Some of them might not be total dishwater. We’ll see.

  • 2009+ Volkswagen Jetta TDI
  • 2010+ Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • 2010+ Toyota Prius
  • 2010+ Honda Civic
  • 2010+ Mazda 3s five-door
  • 2010+ Audi A3
  • BMW 335d

Hopefully I can start to try out these cars soon. Regardless, I’ll be looking at as many as I can when I visit the Washington Auto Show on January 30 (show goes from Jan. 27-31).

14 comments:

  1. Of course i am going for shopping with you. In one of the cars above yeah. Or to get one of the cars above. yeah.
    Airaid Intakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you.

    Honda car test drive in Thane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing article and I love the pics we shell post them on our website. Thank you. Wheel Repair tool Please check our video of how our tool works and how easy it is to repair a whee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! This is something I‘ve been searching for a while. I am thankful to you for writing this article. I must say you are a wonderful blogger. I hope, I would read one of your another post soon!
    Gun store mayfield ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing article and I love the pics we shell post them on our website. Thank you.
    Organic cotton infant clothing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing article and I love the pics we shell post them on our website. Thank you.
    Black Ant King

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exceptionally motivational to catch wind of somebody seeking after their fantasy and getting to be effective as opposed to 3D rendering servicestaking after the customary way. I am basically bewildered by the way you sure out verging on each and every little detail. It truly will be really going to help me an awesome offer. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing your considerations so unquestionably.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! I am for the most part amazed by the way you special out practically each and every little detail. It can be truly making a beelinesilver jewelry wholesale for help me an awesome offer. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing your recommendations so certainly.Excellent post. Observe on our fair surveys on paper assistance from various destinations to get dependable examination of scholastic sites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article is pretty interesting since there is so many useful information inside. We need more similar info on a daily basis. Hope you'll regularly update this web in the future. Thank you. Cute rompers Shop Poshe fashions for everything cute & adorable! Emerging designers and unique finds. Juniors clothing, shoes & accessories. Amazing selection & prices! junior clothing, junior clothing stores, juniors clothing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, It really is incredibly fantastic and informative website. Hold writing the terrific execute, Good to discover your site

    _____________________________
    Online wigs shopping Qatar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the nice information. I am sure, I will tweet this to my twitter account. This will help a lot of users. Turf management Braselton Simply lawns and landscapes provides Turf management Braselton,Landscaping Georgia,Lawn service Georgia,Simply Lawns and Landscapes,Affordable landscaping services Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This piece of writing offers clear idea designed for the new users of blogging, that genuinely how to do blogging and site-building.
    High bay light fitting

    ReplyDelete
  13. What’s up to all, the YouTube record that is posted at at this point has truly fastidious quality along with fastidious audio quality. Honda car on road price in thane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post. Have a look on our unbiased reviews on essay related help, using different sites to get reliable analysis of academic websites.

    Brother Feet

    ReplyDelete